Home / Moving Checklist
Before You Move
- Go through your entire house or office and try to identify anything you don’t need. Get rid of as much as you can – you don’t want to go through the trouble and expense of transporting just to throw belongings out when you get there.
- Sort your things in order of what you want to pack together; such as items that will go to the same room or those that will be sent to storage. Determine which groups of items you will need sooner than the others, and make note of things you may suddenly need to take out in case of emergencies. Also, figure out which items have special packing or protection needs.
- When choosing a moving company, compare the quotes of different movers with the services and quality of work they deliver. Ask friends, family, and neighbors – both at your old and new addresses – on advice for moving in general, as well as any moving companies they may be familiar with.
- Whatever the time of day your move may take place, have snacks and hot drinks ready for everyone involved in the moving process. Make sure you have enough money for gas, tips, payment arrangements, and any incidentals or emergencies.
- Supervise everything to be able to give specific instructions for specific items. Discuss and agree upon a record for the condition of your belongings before they are moved and before you agree to sign anything.
- When everything is loaded, be sure to double-check every room, drawer, shelf, cabinet, cupboard, etc. for anything left behind. Make sure to turn off all the lights and any appliances left behind. Shut off the mains for the water, electricity, and gas. Double-check that all windows are closed and secured, and finally, lock all the doors.
- Be present to answer questions and give directions to the movers. Stay until they finish.
- Accompany the movers as they inventory your household goods and resolve any questions regarding the condition of materials being moved.
- Carefully read the information on the estimate, order for service, bill of lading, inventory, and all other completed documentes before you sign them.
- Keep the bill of lading until your goods are delivered, the charges are paid, and any claims are settled.
- Before the moving van leaves, take one final look throughout tha house to make certain nothing has been left behind.